As with every other institution, the Batesville School District is traversing through a COVID-19 world.

“Last week was a tough week,” said Superintendent Dr. Michael Hester during Monday’s school board meeting. “Our elementary schools were really hit hard.”

The secondary schools are expecting only 20 percent of students to learn in person next week during the school’s virtual week. While, on the other side, the elementary schools expect 80 percent of students to learn in person.

A few board members voiced concerns about COVID-19. Dr. Wesley Beal asked about encouraging good public health practices, while Josh Swinea said “it’s a help us, help you, situation.”

The meeting kicked off with elections Monday night.

Scott Fredricks, George Latus, Heather Fullbright, and Dr. Wesley Beal were all reelected to President, vice-president, secretary, and legislative liaison respectively. Fredricks and Fullbright were elected to disbursing and alternative disbursing officers.

Teresa Goforth of West Elementary was presented the Citizens Bank Above and Beyond award for the month of November. All district employees can be nominated by their peers and are elected from nomination forms to receive the award certificate, along with a $25 gift card and 20-ounce insulated tumbler from Citizens Bank.

In other presentations to the board, English as a second language students from West Elementary were recognized for exiting the program and the Batesville Home Visiting Office Staff received a Blue Ribbon Award Status, which is the highest recognition their organization can be given.

Surveys of district properties were finished recently. Dr. Michael Hester said options for what to do with the properties will be brought forth at the next meeting.

Last Friday night the Pioneers beat the Jacksonville Titans 42-0 in the first round of the football playoffs. Hester encouraged everyone to watch the Pioneers, either virtually or in person, this Friday night as they take on White Hall.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.